Monday, August 15, 2011

Stinky, Dirty Dishcloths Be Gone!

Disclaimer: If you're not at all interested in the resolving the stinky, dirty dishcloth problem or have no idea what I'm talking about, feel free to stop reading here. Visit me another time, though.  I won't always be talking about dishcloths. OK, now that we have that out of the way...

I used to have a problem with dirty dishcloths sitting in the bottom of my sink getting wetter and nastier because I refused to use those gross things again and I hardly wanted to pick them up to even throw them into the washer. I'd inevitably just get a clean one out and leave the old one in the bottom of the sink. But you can only do that so many times before you have an even grosser pile of dishcloths in your sink. Of course, they didn't start out in the bottom of the sink.  I would attempt to wring them out after using them and lay them neatly on the side of the sink or on the faucet to dry out, only to have them slip, fall, or crawl back into the the sink. My husband, on the other hand, just throws them sopping wet into the sink.  Yuck.  It makes me shudder just to think about it.  I get the same feeling when I have to clean food out of the sink drain catch.

Sometime last year I found a gadget that has actually helped.  (Is it still a gadget if there are no moving parts?) The full name is the Umbra Chariot Stainless-Steel Dishcloth Stand and Scrubby Holder Combo, which is a mouthful considering it's just a dishcloth holder.  I bought it in hopes that my husband would see that the dishcloth, indeed, had a home and would put it there.  No such luck, but at least I now have a place to put it.

This is what it looks like empty:



And this is what it looks like when your dishcloth is staying clean and drying out:



This thing really does work. My dishcloths are no longer draped on my faucet getting in the way, falling into the bottom of the sink, or getting wet as I use the faucet. I no longer get that funky dishcloth smell.  I can go a little longer before washing them, and I no longer find my dishcloths repulsive. I think I even wash them more frequently because I not disgusted to pick them up.   

I bought my dishcloth stand in a little home accessories and kitchen gadget shop in my town. I encourage you to check out the little shops in your own town if you're considering buying one.  Or if you cringe at the thought of dragging your kids to said cute little shops (I'm speaking from experience), they are available from Amazon. 

5 comments:

  1. I feel like I was with you when you bought this, but I am probably wrong.

    I shuddered along with you while I read...I HATE wet, smelly dishcloths sitting in the sink. Yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just tried a dischloth that doesn't get stinky. We bought it for camping but now we use it at home. It's called Scrubr and made by Lunatec. It dries so fast it doesn't have time to get smelly. Here is the link to a review where we read about it, http://gearjunkie.com/camping-dish-cleaner-cloth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dishcloths are my number one nemesis in the kitchen. They stink and i also intend to use it again but i don't. This is a great site related to housekeeping and housekeeping products
    http://www.bbcleaningservice.com/blog/what-everyone-ought-to-know-about-children-and-green-cleaning/

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice blog. For Stinky, Dirty Dish Cloths Be Gone! We provide the Stinky, Dirty Dish Cloths cleaning service at home.We provide tank cleaning services in Edmonton areas. If you need tank cleaning services then give us a call today at 780-224-8610. And visit Us :-http://www.blasttech.ca/

    ReplyDelete