Monday, January 9, 2012

Crunchy Birthday Cookies



When I was a little girl, I'm guessing around 5, I received this birthday card with a recipe for Crunchy Birthday Cookies. I love these cookies. They are scrumptious, crunchy on the outside and chewy on the inside, hearty, full of texture and yum, and the cookie dough pre-baked is pretty much the best thing ever. Not that you should eat raw cookie dough. But I do. Actually I read somewhere that you can buy pasteurized eggs. I've never tried them, but the next time I'm pregnant and get a craving for cookie dough, I might give them a try.

*I forgot the baking soda in this photo.

I love that a birthday card included a recipe. And a recipe new to the family. It's become an heirloom recipe, and those are few and far between in our house.

I'm tempted to eat all of this.

Crunchy Birthday Cookies

1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. white sugar
1 egg (well beaten)
1 tsp. vanilla
1 c. flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1 c. dry oatmeal
1 c. corn flakes (I use bran flakes)
1/2 c. coconut
1/2 c. chopped pecans

Cream butter; add sugars, then egg and vanilla. Sift dry ingredients together and add to creamed mixture. Add corn flakes, oatmeal, coconut, and pecans to mixture. Roll into small balls and place about 2 inches apart on greased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 to 15 minutes. Will make approximately 3 dozen cookies.

Don't over-bake them or the coconut starts to burn. Enjoy!
Yum. Yum, Yum. Yum.

5 comments:

  1. These cookies must be something special if you've held on to the card for this long! What a fun memory!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a sucker for anything with coconut, so this sounds like a must-make recipe for me!

    I love that it came in your birthday card. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, I happen to have all those ingredients on hand and was planning to make regular oatmeal cookies but might have to try these instead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a new recipe for me and it looks wonderful. Love the cinnamon you added too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got this same birthday card from my grandma for my 5th or 6th birthday! The recipe was new to us and became a favorite and I kept it with my baby book forever. Unfortunately, my mom got the hairbrained idea from the fad Creative Memories to redo the book on "acid free" paper and ended up losing everything in there (she's a starter, not a finisher), including the recipe half of the card.

    I was literally just googling to find that recipe to make with my nephews and came across this blog. THANK YOU SO MUCH for posting this and the pictures of the card and recipe so I knew it was the same!!!!

    ReplyDelete