Monday, May 24, 2010

My Name Is Joanna, and I Have a Problem

I can't put my finger on it.  Something has changed.  Once again, I'm losing steam.  I've learned that, much as in my experience with my children, just as you get into a really good groove, something changes--a new found ability to crawl, climb, or walk, the ability to suddenly reach higher drawers, an incoming tooth, a bad cold, potty training--and things get thrown out of whack.  My maintaining is out of whack.  I'm not sure why.  A busy week?  My husband out of town for a few days?  The sweltering heat and humidity?  New planting and gardening projects? A renewed commitment to exercise?  An increasingly alert (and therefore demanding) baby?  I know that those really aren't good excuses.  I had free time this week.  I read an entire magazine in one sitting, people!  So am I just tiring of the tedium that is housekeeping?  After all, it's one of the things that really is never ending.  I guess the key to to just take it one day at a time.  Is it bad that I'm comparing housekeeping to overcoming addiction?  Huh.  Is there a 12-step program for laziness?

How do you all stay motivated to keep it up day after day?  Ideally a clean house (or at the very least, clean countertops) would be reward enough, and initially it was.  But I'm slipping.

On the positive side, I did get my final bathroom drawer cleaned out this week.  After photo to come.  Granted, this blog is the ONLY reason I cleaned that drawer.  Whatever works, right?

Oh, and I prettified the blog.  Just more proof of my procrastination.  Uff.

UPDATE:  After posting this entry, I looked around at my messy place and immedately started shopping online for a new swimsuit.  What do you do when you want to procrastinate?

3 comments:

  1. What do I do when I want to procrastinate? I procrastinate. Right now I'm here, telling you something you already know, while a giant chapter needing proofing waits in my email. Sigh. You are not even close to alone, Sweets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blogs when I want to procrastinate. Oops, I'm doing it right now...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Put your house on the market...it is instant motivation. I find I have to stop myself from procrastinating on a pretty regular basis. Sometimes it helps me to go ahead and give in to the procrastination (watch some mindless tv, read that magazine, waste time on the internet) for a little while, but then get up and get going. I try to pep talk myself and remind myself that whatever needs to be done won't be going away and by putting it off, I add more to my 'to do' list the next day.

    ReplyDelete